Safe Metal Filling Removal in Rockford IL

What is Dental Amalgam?

Dental amalgam is a filling material that is comprised of a mixture of metals, including mercury, silver, tin, copper. Fillings made of dental amalgam are often called silver, or metal, fillings.

Are Mercury Fillings Safe?

If you have amalgam fillings, we strongly recommend you have them removed, as they contain toxic chemicals that can lead to serious health problems. Amalgam fillings are fifty percent mercury and fifty percent a combination of silver, tin, and copper.

Symptoms of Mercury Poisoning

Mercury is poisonous and, according to the World Health Organization, not safe at any level. In fact, mercury is harmful to nearly every system of your body and can cause digestive, respiratory, and neurological problems. Consider having your mercury fillings safely removed before they break down and possibly begin to leak.

It may be time for a safe removal of amalgam fillings if:

  • Your fillings are over 10 years old.
  • You grind or clench your teeth.
  • You are sensitive to metals or have symptoms of heavy metal toxicity (brain fog, neuropathy, behavioral disorders, poor gut health, hair loss, anxiety)
  • Your teeth have started to fracture around your fillings.
  • Your fillings have become sensitive.

Mercury Filling Removal

If you would like to have your mercury fillings removed, our practice is one of the few that have the specialized training and equipment to do this in the safest manner possible. We use only biocompatible, BPA-free, and non-toxic dental materials on all our patients and follow the approved protocol for removing mercury amalgam fillings, established by the International Academy of Oral Medicine.

Removing metal fillings is a delicate process since the drilling of them releases large amounts of vapor that is potentially dangerous to the patient, the dentist, and the medical team.

Our group of dental specialists share the same ideals and approach to treatment and follow the Safe Removal Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART), a protocol set forth by the reputable International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) which prescribes guidelines for the safe removal of metal fillings.

Do You Want To Remove Metal Fillings?

For an expert mercury removal dentist, call our practice today!

Call us: 815-282-5233


What is a mercury filling replaced with?

We replace mercury with a white composite resin that we shade to match your surrounding tooth structure. When expertly done by our skilled dentists, the filling is virtually invisible.

The material we use naturally blends with your teeth and is strong and long-lasting. In addition to being aesthetically pleasing, composite fillings are completely safe and non-toxic. We specifically choose ones that are BPA and Fluoride-free.

Do I need to detox after having mercury fillings removed?

A good detox program varies from person to person depending on current health status, risk factors, and genetics. We recommend you check with your naturopath or functional doctor. However, we do sometimes recommend Chlorella, activated charcoal, or other adjuncts to help chelate and remove any mercury.

Do metal fillings cause sensitivity?

Yes! Metal conducts heat, so metal fillings naturally conduct high temperatures down into the tooth, causing extreme levels of sensitivity. Natural tooth material and composite fillings, on the other hand, insulate your teeth from temperature changes and protect them from temperature-induced discomfort.

What happens to mercury fillings after they are removed?

After we’ve safely removed your mercury fillings, we take every precaution to safely dispose of the gloves, coverings, and mercury itself. We use special equipment that picks up 100% of mercury waste and have a company that disposes of it safely.